Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Coach Chat with Frank Padulla

A new feature on the blog this season will be Coach Chat. This is a chance to interview a few of our players and coaches so that you the fan can get to know some of the guys behind the numbers. So this week, I've sat down with Frank Padulla #25 a Jr. wide receiver from Panama City, Florida.

Coach: Frank, what do you think of the season so far?

FP: Obviously I would like us to have more wins, but things are starting to click. I've been in this type of offense before and it takes time to understand it and apply it on the field.

Coach: What is there to understand and apply?

FP: Tempo and finding green. This is a fast pace offense. Everything from play calling to executing the play needs to be quick. Then as a receiver, you must always have the ability to adjust to the QB and get into the open areas of the field. That takes younger players to learn. I think the past two games we've seen this starting to come into play more.

Coach: What's your favorite play?

FP: Any play where I get the ball (Laughing and flashing a wink). no seriously, any play where we are moving the chains. We have a lot of play makers out there and when one of my teammates makes a play is my favorite play.

Coach: Tell me about some one of your favorite play makers.

FP: I like Colton Terry, he's very scrappy and very disciplined. He knows this offense and what it takes to be successful on and off the field. He plays the game like I do. He plays like he's mad, but he's really having fun in everything he does. If I have to pick another play maker it would be Jurrell. You can knock him around and he will always come back and make a play. He NEVER says a word, he just goes to work...I love that.

Coach: How do you see the rest of the season playing out?

FP: Like I said, we are starting to click. We are standing at the door, and we are about to kick it in. If we continue to go in the direction I've seen the past two weeks, we should start putting up big numbers. If we do that, then we WILL win ball games. The coaches have done a great job keeping us motivated and focused on our goal.

Coach: What are those goals?

FP: Coach Nichols said all along that we are going to win our side of the conference and we can do that. Let's face it, we are still building a program from the ground up and we are doing a great job so far.

Coach: How are we going to reach that goal?

FP: Give me the ball! (again laughing)

Coach: Aren't you a little bit cocky?

FP: I have to be. Every time I go across the middle there is some linebacker looking to take my head off. The football field is no place to be if you're scared. I have a "go to work" attitude. No excuses...no matter what...do your job no matter how bad it will hurt. That requires a bit of attitude.

Coach: What do you plan to do after college?

FP: I'm planning on attending law school. Some folks have told me that I have a gift of "running my mouth". So, the best place for me to put that into use is in law. Seriously, I think I can help people and I want to put all of my talents to ggod use.

Coach: Thanks for your time and effort...now get to class!

FP: Yes sir.

Check back for more chats with players.

GO EAGLES!

No comments: