Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Why I'm proud to be a Faulkner Eagle!

With two back to back wins and a Mid-South player of the week, it's real easy to get lost in the numbers and in the simple joy of winning. Sometimes it takes something nobody knows about to let you know what Faulkner Football is all about. Last night I witnessed just such a thing.


For the past few Monday nights we have been sending a few of our players down to Vaughn Park Church of Christ to help out with the Inner City Ministry. This was meant for a few of our guys to help out with under privileged kids for a couple of hours a week. It started out with 5 players and now 20+ are going over every Monday night. So, I headed down there to see for myself what they were doing. Let me tell you...I was BLOWN AWAY! Words can not express how proud those guys made me. They had no idea was coming or that I was even there. I watched as two bus loads of kids pulled up and our players stood in front of the bus doors and picked up every child on their backs and carried them to class rooms. These kids loved it.





Here is running back, Mike Timmons enjoying class with a child.



Right tackle, Paul Adams helps with a puzzle.


D-lineman, Justin Gomez helps answer a question.



Freshman safety, Walter Hough helps some kids with a stroller.


I don't know who is having more fun, the kids or Josh Cooper...



Running back, Scotty Pennington was happy to hang with people shorter then he is ;-)


Linebackers,Sean Thom and Zach Riggins show they have a softer side.


Freshman, Aaron Provins helps a young lady in class.



Chad Collins, Greg Brass, and Colton Terry help with class.


I'm not a good enough writer to properly do these young men justice. It takes an incredible person to leave their comfort zone for the joy of someone else. These guys proved to me that Faulkner Football was a GREAT idea and young men like these will set a high bar for future teams to measure up to. If you know these young men or they are your sons, grandsons, nephews, brothers...you should be very proud of them. If you see them, let them know how proud you are. I have to admit, I may have gotten a little misty watching this last night.


These young children, love these players. Each week kids ask for the same players to carry them off the bus. Some kids won't get back onto the bus unless a player carries them. For some of these kids, it's the only fun they have all week. Watching the expression on their faces was worth any victory we could ever hope to win on the field.


Here is the kicker...everyone of these guys VOLUNTEERED! That's right...this was not some mandatory "do it or run" punishment. We had to put up sign up sheets because so many players wanted to help out.


As I drove home last night, I thanked God for the job I have and the people I work with everyday. Thanks guys for making us all proud to be Faulkner Eagles.



GO EAGLES!





No comments: